Who should take this course?
You do not need any previous qualifications in Occupational Health and Safety in order to do our L5 Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety course, although you will need to demonstrate competence in job-related skills in your particular area of work and expertise.
This simply means that you will need to be working as a health and safety officer in your workplace.
Alternatively, you could ask your employer to give you voluntary/part-time access as H&S Officer so you can complete the practical requirements for this Level 5 Diploma in Health & Safety.
How does ELN conduct the delivery and assessment?
The Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice is delivered completely online and is assessed online as well through typed assignments and work-based evidence. Our qualified, subject expert, personal tutor will be available to you throughout your studies to assess and support you and help you complete your Diploma in H&S.
The Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice allows you to demonstrate competence in job-related skills in your particular area of work and expertise. This qualification is recognised by the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) for Graduate Member (Grad IOSH). As an IOSH Graduate Member, you can use the letters Grad IOSH after your name.
This qualification covers areas such as promoting a positive health and safety culture, effective communication systems and policy for health and safety information, developing and maintaining individual and organisational competence as well as controlling risks and reviewing proactive and reactive monitoring systems for health and safety. It also covers developing and implementing emergency response, reviewing systems and procedures, and influencing and keeping pace with improvements in health and safety practice.
On achievement of the qualification learners will have developed the level of competence which will enable them to perform consistently, reliably and productively in their work role, and make a positive contribution to their employment. This qualification will support progression of learners to:
• increased responsibility or promotion at work
• level 6 occupational/vocational qualifications in occupational health and safety
• senior technical, management or director roles
Would you like to read in more detail what the ELN Level 5 DOHS course entails? Download our course brochure now!
Your course Tutors
Mark is ELN’s Training Manager as well as being one of our most highly rated tutors. He supports students on our DET, IQA, EQA and some Assessor courses. He has amassed over 23 years of training experience, working with all organisational levels, creating, promoting and delivering training solutions in both the public and private sectors, working throughout the UK, Middle East and Africa. He holds numerous qualifications in learning and development including the Diploma in Education and Training, Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement, Certificate in Leading Internal Quality Assurance and the Award in External Quality Assurance.
Units and Learning Outcomes
- Be able to advocate commitment to a positive health and safety culture in the organisation
- Be able to develop links with appropriate people and groups on Health and Safety matters
- Understand the importance of promoting a positive health and safety culture within the organisation
- Be able to define the statutory and workplace health and safety requirements for the organisation
- Be able to develop the Health and Safety Policy
- Be able to implement the Health and Safety Policy
- Know the steps required to develop and implement the Health and Safety Policy
- Be able to evaluate health and safety information
- Be able to produce communication systems for health and safety information into the organisation
- Be able to control the effectiveness of the communication systems for health and safety information going out of the organisation
- Know how to develop and implement effective communication systems for health and safety information
- Be able to assess the health and safety competence needs of the organisation
- Be able to implement health and safety training to meet identified needs
- Know how to develop and maintain individual and organisational competence in health and safety matters
- Be able to conduct an inspection of the workplace
- Be able to assess risks to health and safety
- Be able to implement risk control measures and safe systems of work in the organisation
- Know how to identify, assess and control health and safety risks
- Be able to develop a health and safety loss event reporting and recording system
- Be able to implement health and safety loss event investigation systems and procedures
- Be able to conduct statistical and epidemiological analyses
- Be able to maintain communication with stakeholders of health and safety reactive performance monitoring outcomes
- Understand how to develop and implement reactive monitoring systems for health and safety
- Be able to devise inspection and monitoring systems for health and safety proactive performance monitoring
- Be able to keep stakeholders informed of health and safety proactive performance monitoring outcomes
- Understand how to develop and implement proactive monitoring systems for health and safety
- Be able to develop health and safety emergency response procedures
- Be able to implement procedures for the control of a health and safety emergency
- Understand how to develop and implement health and safety emergency response systems and procedures
- Be able to investigate the efficiency and cost effectiveness of health and safety management systems
- Be able to confirm that each part of the health and safety management system is working as intended
- Be able to confirm that the entire health and safety system is working as intended
- Be able to implement behavioural safety in the workplace
- Understand behavioural safety in the workplace
Manage contractors to ensure compliance with health andsafety
Develop and implement the health and safety induction process
Continue Professional Development and ethics in safety and health practice
Frequently asked questions
Yes, all submissions are online but you will of course need to submit the practical evidence which will need to be gathered in the real work environment.
Yes, you can apply directly to the Grad IOSH membership status once you do this course.