Your tutor will conduct a detailed personalised 1:1 initial interview with you before you begin your Level 4 Qualification in External Quality Assurance. For more details, click to expand the 'Assessment' Tab below.
All the External Quality Assurance qualifications are based on the assessment strategy and qualification structures, devised originally by Lifelong Learning UK (LLUK), and are now owned by the Learning and Skills Improvement Service (LSIS).
Would you like to read in more detail what the ELN Level 4 EQA course entails? Download our course brochure now!
Your course Tutors
Mark is ELN’s Training Manager as well as being one of our most highly rated tutors. He supports students on our DET, IQA, EQA and some Assessor courses. He has amassed over 23 years of training experience, working with all organisational levels, creating, promoting and delivering training solutions in both the public and private sectors, working throughout the UK, Middle East and Africa. He holds numerous qualifications in learning and development including the Diploma in Education and Training, Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement, Certificate in Leading Internal Quality Assurance and the Award in External Quality Assurance.
Cordelia (aka Dee) supports students on our Assessor courses. She has many years of training experience both in workplace and college environments. She holds a number of qualifications in learning & development including the Level 5 Diploma in Education & Training, Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement and Level 4 Award in Internal Quality Assurance of Assessment Processes & Practice. She is also a mentor for The Girls Network Charity who inspire and empower girls from the least advantaged communities by connecting them with a mentor and a network of professional female role models.
With over 14 years cumulative experience working as an EFL teacher, as well as a teacher-trainer assistant, Niamh has enjoyed a rounded career in both the public and private arenas of the education sector. A literature and language graduate from Ireland with a keen interest in education, continuous learning and professional development. Niamh gained her TESOL qualification while in Spain and has had the good fortune to have travelled and worked on two different continents, experiencing the joys and challenges of learning new languages, adapting to new work environments and vastly differing cultures. When she isn’t editing content or marking assignments, Niamh can be found hill-walking or playing music, and is currently adding Urdu to her list of languages!
Units and Learning Outcomes
- Understand the context and principles of external quality assurance
- Explain the functions of external quality assurance in learning and development
- Explain the key concepts and principles of the external quality assurance of assessment
- Explain the roles of practitioners involved in the external and external quality assurance process
- Explain the regulations and requirements for external and internal quality assurance in own area of practice
- Understand how to plan the external quality assurance of assessment
- Evaluate the importance of planning and preparing external quality assurance activities
- Explain what an external quality assurance plan should contain
- Summarise the preparations that need to be made for external quality assurance, including:
- Information collection
- Administrative arrangements
- Explain hoe to adapt external monitoring and evaluation approaches to meet customer need without compromising quality standards
- Understand how to externally evaluate the quality of assessment and internal quality assurance
- Explain the procedures for externally monitoring and evaluating internal quality assurance arrangements and practices
- Interpret the requirements for externally monitoring and evaluating internal assessment arrangements and practices
- Evaluate different techniques for externally sampling evidence of assessment, including those that use technology
- Understand how to externally maintain and improve the quality of assessment
- Critically compare the types of feedback, support and advice that internal assessment and quality assurance staff may need to maintain and improve the quality of assessment
- Evaluate standardisation requirements relevant to the external quality assurance of assessment
- Explain the importance of providing feedback, support and advice to internal assessment and quality assurance staff that is consistent with standardisation requirements
- Explain the relevant procedures to follow when there are disputes concerning quality assurance and assessment
- Understand how to manage information relevant to the external quality assurance
- Evaluate the requirements for information management, data protection and confidentiality in relation to the external quality assurance
- Understand the legal and good practice requirements for the external quality assurance
- Evaluate legal issues, policies and procedures that are relevant to external quality assurance, including those for health, safety and welfare
- Critically compare different ways in which technology can contribute to external quality assurance
- Evaluate requirements for equality and diversity and, where appropriate, bilingualism in relation to the external quality assurance of assessment
- Explain the value of reflective practice and continuing professional development in relation to external quality assurance
- Be able to plan the external quality assurance of assessment
- Plan procedures for the external quality assurance of assessment
- Communicate procedures for external quality assurance to the organisations and individuals concerned
- Ensure arrangements and resources are in place for external monitoring and evaluation
- Be able to externally evaluate internal quality assurance and assessment
- Carry out monitoring activities to quality requirements
- Evaluate the quality of internal quality assurance systems
- Evaluate the quality of internal administrative arrangements
- Evaluate the quality of internal staffing and internal staff expertise and competence
- Determine whether assessment arrangements, methods and decisions meet quality requirements
- Be able to maintain and improve internal quality assurance processes
- Provide staff with feedback, advice and support which help them maintain and improve the quality of assessment
- Apply procedures for the standardisation of assessment practices and outcomes
- Be able to manage information relevant to the external quality assurance of assessment
- Apply procedures for recording, storing, reporting information relating to external quality assurance
- Apply procedures to maintain confidentiality of information relating to external quality assurance
- Be able to maintain legal and good practice requirements when externally monitoring and maintaining the quality of assessment
- Apply policies, procedures and legislation relevant to the external quality assurance of assessment, including those for health, safety and welfare
- Apply requirements for equality and diversity and, where appropriate, bilingualism, to the external quality assurance of assessment
- Critically reflect on own practice □ in externally assuring the quality of assessment
- Maintain the currency of own expertise and competence as relevant to external quality assurance
Work documents including:
1 x external quality assurance plan,
General quality assurance / verification evidence,
EQA observation feedback and report
Evidence of management of all EQA data, meetings and communications.
You will also need to complete one observation with at least one of the centres who you support and review. This can be done via video recording, live observation via Zoom or we can authorise a suitably qualified colleague to complete this on our behalf.
Wherever possible we will work with you to fulfil the assessment criteria using your existing work evidence.